Saturday, May 16, 2009

Married- Not Me, Obviously.


I drove for an hour from my house to Putrajaya today. Yes, I'm bad with directions but let's skip that. A friend in school just turned from Ms to Mrs. Today's her big day. I'm still a little surprised because we're of the same age. The moment I saw her in the hall, I had a flashback of the time when she was the prefect and I was the rebel. The only things that mattered at that time were boring textbooks, fitting in with the right clique and everything else sheltered within that teeny sphere of boarding school. Those years have long time passed as we have bigger issues to deal with right after we headed for different directions. Yet I still see her as a pretty sweet sixteen. 23 is still a tad too young, don't you think? But then again, who am I to determine the right age for a lifelong domestic partnership? It's her choice, not mine. She grows up. I don't.

It's funny how a lot of things can change after high school, even within less than a decade. Weddings usually revolved around my sister's friends or my friends' elder siblings before this. But like I've said. Times have passed. I'm no Benjamin Button. At least she's bright and has landed herself a job with well desired paycheck. So I guess she's safe in my book.

Don't get me wrong, I think marriage is a beautiful idea, but only after you've settled yourself thoroughly. Like this friend of mine. It takes a lot of squeeze of your brain just so you could pull out the final answer. Doing it out of being crazily in love despite knowing each other for only a few months is just absurd. And doing it because the partner can give an easy life is just plain shallow. It's a hell lot of responsibility which I don't think I can handle. Even the thought of dating gives me the creeps.

If you ask me, I enjoy living the solitary life. Like a free spirit. Or a gypsy. Or even a hobo. The thing is, regardless of all the achievements and change of marital status and whatnot, it all falls back to what we really want. I'm not sure where I will be heading to after this but I know for a fact that there are millions of things I want to do on my own without the need of anyone's assistance. Including stupid things. No strings attached. I like that. I feel rather content with myself, thank you. (This case can only be applied on me. I don't know about you. You're not my problem.)

Anyway, back to the new Mrs., congratulations! It's your big day. I wish you well for your new, wonderful journey. Although we're on different levels of life now, you're still that sweet prefect who sometimes annoyed me in school. But there's no doubt you're beautiful inside out. I'm truly happy for you ;-).

5 comments:

  1. wah...berbahagia lah teman kau itu... marriage is a constitution leading to limitation... *pendapat personal aku yang bodoh*...ah...aku tidak boleh tidak memperdulikan jemari aku yang terus menaip alamat blog kau...diharap aku tidak menjengkelkan... terusnya dunia kau dikelilingi warna-warni...aku cemburu akan kau..

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha tak sangka blog aku ni ada sambutan...bt i agree with ur personal opinion..marriage is indeed a constitution leading to limitation..kudos to those with happy endings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. to be with the same person from the moment of "i do" till "death do us part", i think that is a serious question that needs a thorough consideration. sometimes i ask myself, what if married people get bored of each other? but then again i guess when we've finally found the right person, we'll know. maybe it's like how we are with our parents or siblings. sometimes they really get on our nerves but we love them anyway. just maybe.

    i bet there'll be more weddings coming our way soon. too bad i can't attend them.

    p.s. keep writing syd!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww thanx f reading,Hanan!ur so sweet!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my dear lady, thou art indeed someone with many facets...very interesting indeed. au revoir!!

    ReplyDelete